NetHack Patch Database v0.27
FAQ, Help, Links and other stuff
What is NetHack?
NetHack is a computer game. For more information, see the NetHack article on Wikipedia.
Patches? What are those?
In the context of the NetHack patch database, they're snippets of code
that you apply to NetHack's source code to add new things or change behaviour.
Certain patch that really should be in there is missing from your database!?
Just submit it.
How do I patch NetHack?
- Download NetHack's source code.
- Unpack the sources to a directory of your choice.
- Make sure that you can compile just the vanilla NetHack, without any modifications. See the README
in the top level of the directory where you unpacked it, and then the instructions for your
platform in the sys -directory, eg. on linux you'd want to read sys/unix/Install.unx
- Once you have compiled NetHack, create a copy of the directory. You'll most likely want
to keep a working copy of the unpatched source available...
- Find the patch diff file you want, and save it on your computer.
- In the working directory, do
patch -p0 < file where file
is the patch diff you saved. You might need to try other values for the -p
parameter; usually -p0 or -p1 work.
- Try to compile the patched NetHack.
In practice, this is easiest on a unix-like operating system, such as Linux or *BSD.
For more help, check out the following links:
Links to NetHack stuff?